RE: Cygwin is SLOW

I've just tried Bernard's scripts on both Cygwin PERL and ActiveState
PERL. I'm running Windows XP on a Celeron 466MHz box with 256Mb memory.

Cygwin PERL

Here is the PERL version info:

This is perl, v5.6.1 built for cygwin-multi

And here is the output from the two scripts:

[506]zzalsaca@ACA-VNT$ ./fastchm.pl
327.4 chmods per sec
[507]zzalsaca@ACA-VNT$ ./slowchm.pl
18 chmods per sec

Activestate PERL (a rather old version, I realise!)

Here is the PERL version info:

Copyright 1987-2000, Larry Wall

Binary build 618 provided by ActiveState Tool Corp.
http://www.ActiveState.com
Built 21:03:54 Sep 13 2000

And here is the output from the two scripts:

C:\users\zzalsaca\tmp>perl fastchm.pl
1588 chmods per sec

C:\users\zzalsaca\tmp>perl slowchm.pl
6.4 chmods per sec

So Activestate seems to be much faster using its internal chmod
function, but much slower if invoking an external chmod command.

I should point out that the Cygwin version was run from within a bash
shell running under rxvt whereas the Activestate was running from a cmd
prompt window.

Hope this is of use. I'll let other interpret the results!

Regards,
Tony.