GCC flags, Guile, and wxWindows

I was thinking to do a port of wxWindows to Guile (1.4.1). Under
MS-Windows however I'm finding that in order to link with wxWindows
(built under cygwin BTW), I need the following options on the link line....
-Wl,--subsystem,windows -mwindows

Without these options it will not link with wxWindows. Unfortunately
these options also cause guile to die a nasty death somewhere in its
guts. Try linking a bare bones guile on Windows with these options and
you will see what I mean.

I don't really know that much about MS-Windows development or what these
flags mean, but I've got to have MS-Windows working to fund this
project. Can anybody shed any light on this?