Re: New setup pre-release - feedback needed

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

> [...]

I'm curious, then (that and I've been staying up waaaay to late!).  Is
the MD5 checking new, or just the visual feedback with this version of
setup?  If only the visual feedback is new, then it appears Windows'
graphic elements are slowing down the process.  Any chance you can, you
know, speed up Windows ? ;^)

> > > It *should* be bug free, although there may be a minor bug with
> > > autodetection of upgrades (we have one report, but no debugging info).
> >
> > I did some test installs and re/de-installs and it appears to work well.
> > The only thing I did notice was that during the actual package
> > installation part, the Progress bar is showing "full" when it's installed
> > only about 3/4ths of the files from the package.  I noticed this more
> > with source packages than binaries, but did see it a few times with some
> > binary-only package installs.  It's really just a cosmetic thing and
> > didn't seem to effect the actual installation.  I view it as a reversal
> > of the old '98% finished' phenomenon :-)
>
> Hmm. Thats strange - I suspect it's a race of some sort with the gui updates
> (we have two threads for blocking IO operations - one to do the UI, one to
> do the IO.) Nothing much has changed there, which is why it's strange.

That is strange.  But as long as nothing goes wrong as a result, it
doesn't matter too much.

> Thanks for the feedback,

Sure thing!

--