Maximum # of program arguments

Hey there,

I'm having problems linking with an ARM targeted GCC cross compiler.  It
looks like I may have hit some sort of limit for number of character or
arguments to an executable (I keep getting "fork" errors, and child cant
find blah blah blah).  I do have quite possibly over 16k characters I'm
passing as arguments to a program.  Whats the maximum, and how can I
increase it?? :).

I'm running the latest (downloaded yesterday) CYGWIN, GCC's (3.1.1 and
2.9.x), MAKE, ...

Any help would be appreciated. :)
Thanks,
--