Re: Python: Activestate and/or Cygwin

Don,

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 04:59:13PM -0700, Don Dwiggins wrote:
> I'm thinking of using Cygwin Python in addition to or instead of
> ActiveState.  Does anyone on the list have some experience in this?

I do the above myself.  I use Cygwin Python for all of my Python needs
except for COM -- then I use Win32 Python.

> In particular, would there be problems adding Hammond's Windows
> extensions to Cygwin Python (or better yet, has it been done)?

See the following:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-June/107208.html

> What other gotchas might there be?

Remember that Cygwin Python is a Unix (i.e., Posix) Python, so you may
lose some of the Win32 Python features.  As an example, the _winreg
module is currently not part of Cygwin Python.  Although, work has been
done in this area:

    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=305470&aid=554807&group_id=5470

The Cygwin Python README might be helpful too:

   http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/python/python-2.2.1.README

Jason