RE: Server Port?

The services file you found in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc is indeed the file
you would want to edit--it affects both Cygwin and vanilla Windows applications.

My personal preference is to symlink /etc/services to the Windows one...
(Hmm... who's for making this part of the install process?)

To do that: ln -s /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/drivers/etc/services /etc/services
(Note that this works on Win NT/2K/XP only.  On ME???/95/98 the file is
C:\WINDOWS\services... I think.  It might be in the system directory.)

Changing standard port numbers is something that I have not tried.  If you
change the port assignment for FTP, you may suddenly find that your better
written Windows apps ("better written" implies "well abstracted" implies "few
hard-coded numbers") will no longer be able to find FTP servers without an
explicit port specification.  I leave it to the reader to find out if IE falls
into that category.

I add entries to my services file at the drop of a hat, though.

I hope this helps.

Jason Alonso