Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4) -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 04:16:48PM +0900, Dylan Cuthbert wrote:

>Hi all, Here is a very simple test program I am compiling with
>g++ -mno-cygwin -c test.cpp -o test.exe
>
>--- snip ---
>
>#include <iostream>
>
>int main (int argc, char *argv[])
>{
> int frog = 10;
> int blob = 20;
>
> for ( int i = 0; i < 10; i++ )
> {
>  std::cout << "hello world" << frog << " " << blob << std::endl;
>
>  frog += blob;
>
> }
>
> return(0);
>}
>
>--- snip ---
>
>When I run this from a command.com style window, a very strange thing
>happens - the text cursor starts jumping about the screen in a repeated
>pattern (I'm not joking, I thought it was a virus or something at first).
>When I run it from rxvt, rxvt just freezes on me after I press ctrl-c.
>
>In both cases I have to use the task manager to close down a task called
>ntvdm.exe which is using up 50% of the cpu time.  If I end that task the
>prompt returns to rxvt (or the command.com shell).

I would suspect that you are not running the program as ./test and are,
instead running some other random "program" named test.

It's usually a good idea not to use 'test' as a command name since UNIX
systems have a test program installed in /usr/bin.

cgf