Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4) -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly

On 21 Jul 2002, Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 08:00:48AM -0700, Randall R Schulz
> wrote:

>>When you use the "-c" option, you suppress the whole linking
>>phase. The output, regardless of its extension, is not a
>>binary executable
[snip]
> Wow, all of this traffic and Randall is the first, AFAICT,
> to notice that someone was using the -c option incorrectly.
> When I did my test case, I actually correctly did not use
> the -c option to try to create an executable and I never
> noticed the cockpit error.

The reason being that you were trying to reproduce a reported problem and failed to faithfully reproduce the conditions described.

> There are something on the order of 22 messages in this
> thread and it looks like only one person actually noticed
> the obvious problem.

So obvious that you didn't comment on it in your original response? Since yours was the first reply, you could have saved 20 of those messages by doing so.