an ``open'' command which resolves file associations

Hello,

I've been wondering for a long time whether someone had written a program for cygwin to do what NeXT's open(1) program does. At least in the current incarnation, under OSX, open resolves file-type associations at the command line and opens a file.

Do any list readers know of any perl programs, or scripts which perform this functionality under cygwin? I haven't spent much time programming under windows, but it doesn't seem that difficult to read the registry file, build a hash, etc. I always sort of figured someone else had already done it but didn't know who or where.

ciao and thanks,
Qiezi