Re: Valid file-name characters

--- egor duda <deo@logos-m.ru> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Saturday, 20 July, 2002 David A. Cobb superbiskit@cox.net wrote:
>
> DAC> Back in May (where I'm still trying to catch up) there was a
> discussion
> DAC> starting at http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-05/msg01041.html
> DAC> concerning a colon in a filename -- valid in *nix, not in Windows.
>

> DAC> Also, we get repeated griping about the encoding of URI's in the
> local
> DAC> package cache.
>
> DAC> Would you consider a patch that translated filenames containing
> special
> DAC> characters: the Cygwin user would see "aux:" but Windows would see
> DAC> "aux%??" (I don't recall the encoding of colon)?
>
> The only problem here is what to do if cygwin user wants to create
> both aux: and aux%

Use the euro symbol (€)[Alt+0128] instead?  It is highly unlikely that a
user will want to create aux€.  Anyhow, I believe all versions of windows
(via windows update if necessary) have support for the €.

Cheers,
Nicholas

P.S. - This is not intended to start a war on the merits of the euro as a
currancy, rather it is to discuss the merits of an unused symbol.