Re: Valid file-name characters

Hi!

Monday, 22 July, 2002 Robert Collins robert.collins@syncretize.net wrote:

>> RC> I was just about to suggest that whatever character is used is used as
>> RC> an escape char rather than a literal replacement.
>>
>> RC> i.e.
>> RC> WIN32      CYGWIN
>> 'aux%c' ->> 'aux:'
>> 'aux%%' ->> 'aux%'
>>
>> which means that
>>
>> s='a%%'
>> touch $s
>> notepad $s
>>
>> won't work.

RC> Unless cygwin detects that notepad is a non cygwin program, and therefor
RC> needs the on-disk name.

Even if cygwin knows that notepad is native program it can't tell for
sure if a%% is name of disk file. It may be a name of my dog to be
told from my computer speakers, for instance. An he surely won't like
if i misspell his name ;-)

RC> With
'aux%' ->> 'aux:'

RC> s='aux:'
RC> touch $s
RC> notepad $s

RC> won't work either - unless cygwin detects that notepad...

That's exactly my point. Having some fancy rules for filename encoding
breaks interoperability with native tools. Escaping non-valid
characters like ':' is not big problem, since native tools can't use
such names anyway. But messing with valid characters like '%' is far
more dangerous and error-prone.