Re: perl & \n (was: perl-5.8.0 breaks code "working" on 5.6.1 over "\n"

Greg schrieb:

> This is a followup to my email about differences between the way
> perl-5.8.0 and perl-5.6.1 handle \n. This is a cygwin problem
> but also one about portable code.

Just a few little questions:

[...]

> In any case, with the aim being to write portable code that also
> works on cygwin whether you are using 5.6.1 or 5.8.0, what do we
> suggest to developers? I don't think you want to force a binary
> file mail message format on cygwin users, because this would mean
> you couldn't use Windows applications.

notepad is the only application on earth that cannot handle \n as a
linefeed as every other editor does.  Which other applications did I
missed to hate?

> I also don't think developers are keen on sprinkling binmode all
> through their IO routines either, especially when it won't help
> solve Win32 problems.

I assume you have not set PERLIO env variable?

Have you also tried your experiments with:
1. PERLIO=perlio
2. PERLIO=stdio
3. PERLIO=

Would be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=