RE: A proposed change to termcap??

Er, I think you can use at least two other TERM settings (rxvt and
rxvt-cygwin-native). There are a bunch of differences between the
termcap descriptions of xterm and these two.

I think the xterm setting in termcap get you a vanilla ANSI-compatible
setup,
while rxvt is capable of VT102 (at least) emulation. Plus, it takes some
special finagling to get the line drawing characters to work. A week or two
back, someone here described how to set up rxvt-cygwin-native to do this.