Multiple concurrent DLLs, part 2

Hi,

It would be handy to have a changeable shared memory ID on the
cygwin1.dll, so I am able to load two different versions of the DLL
into memory.

My setup is an application that needs to run on desktops in our
company, in its own user account, as a background service. Some of
the desktops already have some version of cygwin installed, some have
no cygwin at all. In order to make my app completely independent of
a possible installed cygwin, I want to have my app use my cygwin1.dll
exclusively, and moreover, if my app runs, other apps starting should
not be able to see my already-loaded DLL. Other apps might not want
my DLL, but the DLL as installed on the system by the primary user of
the desktop. The other advantage is that process info ('ps') will not
be shared between the apps, a desirable feature in this case.

I'm recompiling the dll from CVS myself, manually changing
/src/winsup/cygwin/include/cygwin/version.h to get a unique shmemid.
(I'm having some problems, the latest gcc distributed with cygwin
doesn't want to compile the dll).

It would be a useful addition to have the init code check for an env
var "CYGWIN_OVERRIDE_SHMEM_ID" or something, and use that instead of
the standard one. This makes bundling a cygwin dll with an app to
make it more standalone easier.

Would you guys accept a patch for this if I make it work? or do you
think the whole idea is bad?

Ivo