Odd mount and path problem

Ok, I've spent days trying to work around this problem and more days searching the web for solutions, but to no avail.

The basic problem is that I 'cd' to a directory and programs in my path, like 'ls' stop working with a "bash: /bin/ls: No such file or directory" error message.

The specifics:

Here's the mount table:

d:\cygwin\home on /home type system (binmode)
\cygwin\sbin on /sbin type system (binmode)
\cygwin\bin on /bin type system (binmode)
\cygwin\etc on /etc type system (binmode)
\cygwin\lib on /lib type system (binmode)
\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
\cygwin\tmp on /tmp type system (binmode)
\cygwin\usr on /usr type system (binmode)
\cygwin\var on /var type system (binmode)
C: on /c type system (binmode)
D: on / type system (binmode)
u: on /cygdrive/u type system (binmode,noumount)

Here's my PATH:

/usr/bin:/bin:D:/LE/cyberle/tools/Jikes:/Tools/bin:
/JDK1.3/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:
/c/Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server/80/Tools/Binn:/vslick/win:.

If I am anywhere on the D drive, like in / or /cygwin or anything other than /c, things work ok. When I cd to /c, and type 'ls' I get this:

bash: /bin/ls: No such file or directory

More fully, no commands from /bin will work any more. It's as if the /bin directory is no longer available. Fully qualifying the command works, sort of:

/bin/ls does not work
/cygwin/bin/ls does work

If anyone has a solution or an idea to try, I'm open :-)

P.S. I am not using the normal installation settings where /cygwin is mounted as / since I have a lot of other directories at the top of my D drive that I want to access from within cygwin.

P.P.S: In case this will help, here's the initial output from cygcheck:

Cygwin Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Mon Jul 22 11:37:17 2002

Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600

D:\LE\cyberle\tools\Jikes
D:\Tools\bin
D:\JDK1.3\bin
C:\WINDOWS\system32
C:\WINDOWS
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn
D:\vslick\win
.

SysDir: C:\WINDOWS\System32
WinDir: C:\WINDOWS

HOME = `D:\'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
PWD = `/cygwin'
USER = `lstreepy'

Use `-r' to scan registry

c: hd NTFS 4998Mb 73% CP CS UN PA FC
d: hd NTFS 14071Mb 19% CP CS UN PA FC Data
u: net NTFS 17351Mb 96% CP CS UN PA FC
x: cd N/A N/A

D: / system binmode
\cygwin\bin /bin system binmode
C: /c system binmode
\cygwin\etc /etc system binmode
d:\cygwin\home /home system binmode
\cygwin\lib /lib system binmode
\cygwin\sbin /sbin system binmode
\cygwin\tmp /tmp system binmode
\cygwin\usr /usr system binmode
\cygwin\lib /usr/lib system binmode
\cygwin\var /var system binmode
. /cygdrive user binmode,cygdrive

--
Larry V. Streepy, Jr.

Health Language, Inc. -- "We speak the language of healthcare"

970/626-5028 (office) mailto:streepy@healthlanguage.com
970/626-4425 (fax) http://www.healthlanguage.com