Re: perl & \n (was: perl-5.8.0 breaks code "working" on 5.6.1 over "\n"

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> notepad is the only application on earth that cannot handle \n as a
> linefeed as every other editor does.  Which other applications did I
> missed to hate?

Unfortunately that's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.  How many
Unixoid apps choke on \r\n's?  Or (heaven forbid we forget those still in
MacLand) just \r's?  Until Cygwin came along, I'd guess probably all of
them.  fseek()ing all over hell, cat'ing binaries, lordy.

It's almost beyond belief that here it is, the fricken' 21st century, and we
even have to care what the stupid line endings in our *text* files are.  Do
I worry about what the moral equivalent of "line endings" are in a JPEG?
Nope.  An MP3?  Never even crossed my mind.  But older-than-dirt ASCII text
files?  Holy Christ, get out the slide rules and keep the coffee comin',
it's gonna be an all-nighter!

Ok, rant off.  I guess the only solution here is for me to get off my
kiester and finish my Grand Unified Text File Library.

I just hope I get the source code's line endings right. ;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Braemar Inc.