RE: Problems with RSH & SSH

Hi...

Thanks for your reply... Yesterday I was able to solve at least the ssh problem...

I installed the service using this command
cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "sshd" -f "This service provides SSH" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a -d -e '"CYGWIN=binmode ntsec tty"'

The problem was the -d flag (after the -a). It tells sshd to run in debug mode. I wanted to set -D for deamon mode.
In debug mode the process is not forking. So it exits after executing the command. Now ssh runs fine under all conditions!
What a stupid typo. With -D everything runs very well.

For rsh I am still having my problems. But with sshd running I can solve my problems, even it is a bit more difficult
for the clients

For anyone interested in my rshd problems... I downloaded the rshd/inetd sources and started out to debug a bit.
The problem for rsh is that all homeaccounts reside on a UNC shares. In /etc/passwd it reads for me
//raid1/Entwicklung/User/roland

And that appears to be the problem for rshd. It tries to make a chdir() on my homeaccount which fails.
(Whereas the UNC path for my homedirectory is perfectly working for ssh.) I made a little patch to rshd to bypass
that check, so I was able to start local commands but I was not able to get the stdout output of the command I
was starting with rsh.

So a
rsh localhost ls
resulted in no output on my console. But the command is executed. For example a
rsh localhost cp /bin/bash.exe /tmp
produces the correct result. The bash is copied to /tmp

Roland

"Harig, Mark A." <maharig@idirect.net>
Sent by: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
23.07.2002 00:03