RE: Odd mount and path problem

> From: Larry V. Streepy, Jr. [mailto:streepy@healthlanguage.com]
> Subject: Re: Odd mount and path problem
>
> I got an explanation that had something to do with the current drive
> affecting the way /cygdrive is interpreted.  However, I wasn't using
> /cygdrive in my path, so I don't understand the real reason that you
> have to include the drive letter in mount table.
 I think you misinterpreted the answer. /cygdrive has nothing to do with
this.

  The mount point:
    \cygwin\sbin on /sbin type system (binmode)
  means that if cygwin sees a file spec /sbin/blah/what.txt
  It looks in the mount table for /sbin/blah. Assuming that's not found it
looks for /sbin. That exists and so it looks for the file in
\cygwin\sbin\blah\what.txt
 What disk drive would you expect to find that file in? Well, for as long as
I can remember, Microsoft has looked in what is known as the "current
drive".  That means your mount point changes every time you change your
current directory to a different drive.
 I don't think "mount" should allow you to do this. I consider it a bug.
mount should require a drive letter.
 Note that the location of the "/" mount point is not relevant here.  It
would only be looked at, in the above case, if there were no /sbin mount
point.