RE: autoconf issues [often when upgrading from 2.13->2.53a]

--- "Harig, Mark A." <maharig@idirect.net> wrote:
> First some facts about what I have:
>
> 1. I have access to Win2K, but not 98/ME/etc.

I'm running both WinME and a Win98SE machines.

> 2. cygwin, version 1.3.12-2

WinME: v1.3.13(CVS)
Win98SE: v1.3.12-2

> 3. $ bash --version
>    GNU bash, version 2.05a.0(3)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
>    Copyright 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Both are running the latest bash from the mirrors:
GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release

> 4. $ expr --version
>    expr (GNU sh-utils) 2.0

Both are running expr (GNU sh-utils) 2.0

> Looking at the log of the configure session that you included, it's
> apparent that your version of 'expr' is returning the wrong result.
> Here's the command that the configure script runs:
>
> expr xposixmutexes :

'.*[^-_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789]'
> && echo hello
>
> (I changed the 'echo' portion for simplicity.)
>
> This invocation of 'expr' should return 0 (zero) and the second
> half of
> the '&&' expression should not be evaluated, but on your system it
> is.

Hmm, I see...

> You might try running the first half of the '&&' expression without
> the
> second half to see what position in the 'xposixmutexes' string
> 'expr'
> thinks it is finding an invalid character.

Curious, this is the result on the Win98SE machine:
$ expr xposixmutexes :
'.*[^-_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789]'

0

I take it this isn't what should have happened if something was
wrong?  However, I immediately try the configure script and I get
that error...

> Are you running the latest stable version of 'expr' that Cygwin has
> available?  It's included in sh-utils 2.0-2, which is in the 'Base'
> category when setup.exe is run.

Yes, I'm always running the latest :-).  As a side note, eventhough
I'm regex-illiterate, I still know what I'm doing for the most part
;-).

Cheers,
Nicholas