a way to read the current cpu load from the shell or via a cmdline utility in cygwin?

Hi there,

I've searched through the archives but can't seem to find any mention of
this, is there a way to display the cpu load via a shell utility?

If not, can someone point me to the posix function call (if it exists) so I
can write a little utility.  I want to do some load balanced compiles across
several machines by spawning the compile across the network via "make -j",
and a wrapper for gcc, then use rsh (ssh or rexec) and network sharing to do
the compile.  The thing is I only want to use machines whose loads are low.

Of course, if a tool for this kind of thing already exists, then please give
me a pointer.

Regards