.stabs description field is too big, try a different format

I am using cygwin 1.3.12-2 and all of the latest available development tools in my installation of cygwin. I have tried the compilation with both the 2.95.2 and the 3.1.1 compilers available through the cygwin setup.exe application. My computer is a PIII-600 with a win-2000 SP2 operating system.

My problem us that when compiling with debugging information I get an error message that the ".stabs description filed '11b78' too big, try a different debug format. The '11b78' field is different for each error, and there are many such fields.

I have tried to use stabs, stabs++ and dwarf-2 formats. I have also tried to compile with -g1 (which results in reduced debugging information). I have searched the mailing lists and the stabs documentation for any information on how to address this issue and none of the above attempts solved my problem.

The reason I am sending this to the cygwin mailing list and not the gcc mailing list is that the same piece of code compiled with the same compiler performed flawlessly when I used cygwin version 1.3.10. However, this error has been with me since I upgraded.

It is not an option for me to take a step back and use the 1.3.10 version of cygwin because my apps had a seg fault on exit using the 1.3.10 version of the cygwin dll, yet the 1.3.12-2 dll does not have this problem.

An additional problem which may be related to the above, is that the linker (ld.exe) will segfault (signal 11) on any code that gives the above warnings related to debug information. Further, the same code with the same compiler produces no warnings when compiled under most unix environments (Linux, Solaris 2.6, 2.7 with native compilers and gcc 3.0, and Irin 6.2 and 6.5 with native compilers or gcc 3.0).

I would appreciate any help or direction in dealing with this issue. I am not on the cygwin mailing list so please include me in any replies.

Thanks in advance for help.

Marcus