Re: cannot connect sshd on port 21 from w2k client

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 09:11:34PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Corinna schrieb:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 05:08:19PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> >> Hallo cygwin,
>
> >> I cannot connect to sshd from my w2k client when sshd is running on
> >> port 21, the debug log:
>
> > You remeber my announcement that ssh is now linked against
> > tcp_wrappers...
>
> No, havn't read it.

Too bad.

>   Well, that means I need to install tcp_wrappers?

It's linked statically.  If you don't have tcp_wrappers installed,
you probably don't have the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files in /etc
and in that case, your problem isn't related to tcp_wrappers.

But *if* you installed tcp_wrappers *or* created these files by hand
on one of these machines, the rules given in these files apply.

> And why is it possible to connect from my NT4 box then?

Depending on the above, the rules are given in these files.  Note that
you connect using a normal ip address when connecting from w2k
(192.168.5.3) while you connect using localhost (127.0.0.1) when
connecting from nt4.  That's an interesting difference.

Other than that, you can always use strace and gdb to get more info...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.