cygwin doesn't work on .NET server

I looked through the mailing list archives, and did a google search,
and while this has come a few times over the past year, I haven't seen
any solutions to it.

I have not been in pressing need of it until now, since while I
develop for .NET server, I've been able to keep my dev machine running
XP (oh joy). However, the time is nigh when I'll have to move that
over to .NET server as well.

So, I've tried the various things posted before - fiddling with
/etc/passwd and /etc/group, clearing out the mount registry settings,

but nothing seems to work.

Here's the symptoms I see:

Depending on the version of .NET server I have, bash.exe (as run from
cygwin.bat) either hangs, or immediately exits. zsh.exe (as installed
from the setup program) immediately crashes.

/etc/passwd and /etc/group are empty. mkpasswd -l and mkgroup -l (how
they are run from postinstall) don't print anything out.

I tried copying over the nicely populated passwd and group files from
my XP machine, but that didn't change anything.

Does anybody know what's going on here? Any ideas?

--
 Brady Montz
 bradym@balestra.org