raw terminal?

when I do

        int x; read(0,&x,1);

the arrow keys move the cursor all over the screen.
on other UNIX flavors, I would get some control junk (like ^[[A)
printed out and made available to read() after I hit RET.
This is what read() gets on cygwin too, but somehow it is not printed
on the screen.  Is there anything I can do to make the terminal behave
more like other UNIX flavors?
(my guess is that this is the "ANSI terminal" - so how do I disable it?)

thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>