From: "Paul Derbyshire" <derbyshire@globalserve.net>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: bash and the delete key
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:01:07 -0400
Sender: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com

Cygwin's bash seems not to interpret the delete key correctly. The
backspace key nukes the character behind the cursor, as expected. The
del key doesn't nuke the character ahead of the curser however. It
inserts a tilde instead. I assume this is something related to either
a bash setting or a terminal setting, but I ran out of clues (read:
relevant information in obvious places in the bash man page) without
fixing it a while back.

I might also note that the gmane news server has not been a success
for me. I tried to get at these lists as apparently gatewayed there,
and did the news server's registration thing, but after days of xnews
reporting zero new articles and my own posting-attempt (on that cron
problem, and which also was used to trigger the registration process)
not showing up I gave up on gmane. Obviously something went wrong --
either it's down, or it's allergic to my news client, or the
registration silently failed in some way and didn't bother to produce
an error message and information on how to fix the problem. The
registration confirm message did show up nearly immediately at my
Hotmail account when I sent the cron related post, and I followed its
instructions within the hour, so I definitely did nothing obviously
wrong or clueless...