Missing libc documentation

I'm not sure how, but the libc documentation in my system is missing.
It was there this morning, and the only thing I've done since then
that might affect documentation was to use cygwin setup, but I used
it to upgrade some packages and install new documentation, not
uninstall anything, so nothing should have *dis*appeared. Also,
nobody else has had physical access to the box all day. So, can
anyone explain how this could have happened?

It gets worse. Reinstalling the "texinfo" package, all 600K of it,
did not bring back my "info libc". I suppose I have to reinstall some
other package to restore the libc documentation. Could someone please
tell me which one? And please let it not be the multi-megabyte gcc
package. Please.

Finally, if anyone has any idea how the documentation got destroyed,
I'd appreciate any information you can give about how to prevent this
from happening again. (Especially if it does mean reinstalling the
mutli-megabyte gcc package.) Is it typical for cygwin to go eating
files at random? Should I be backing up my home directory outside of
the cygwin directory? (If it decides to disappear, weeks of work will
be lost.)

It's particularly strange that this would happen to a system that's
completely up to date -- a serious bug that causes files to vanish
and/or messes up documentation browsing is the sort I'd expect to
occur only with outdated buggy old stuff sitting around.

In the meantime I suppose I can use DJGPP's libc documentation and
hope the stdio functions are basically the same. (Should be; they are
a standardized part of ANSI C.)