Re: bash and the delete key

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 10:53:56PM -0400, Paul Derbyshire wrote:
>On 25 Jul 2002 at 18:30, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 06:01:07PM -0400, Paul Derbyshire wrote:
>> >I might also note that the gmane news server has not been a success
>> >for me.
>>
>> Please take complaints about the gmane news server to the people at
>> http://gmane.org/ .
>>
>> The newsgroup service at gmane.org has no affiliation with the cygwin
>> mailing list or sources.redhat.com, so any problem that you have with
>> them should be directed to them.
>
>Cygwin mailing lists are gatewayed there.

Yeah, that's kinda obvious.  The fact that someone chose to gateway the
cygwin mailing list there does not mean that they are affiliated with
the cygwin mailing list.

>I thought they'd be interested to know if this gatewaying isn't working
>perfectly for whatever reason.

I seriously doubt that "they" read every mailing list that they gateway.

>I also thought maybe if this was a known issue or problem, you guys'd
>know about it and maybe know a workaround.
>
>And last but not least, I had emailed the gmane contact address with a
>query and never saw a response.  I would not have bothered the list if
>there had been a response.

My reason for responding to you was to inform you that we do not have
anything to do with the gmane news server.  I was trying to make it
clear that the cygwin mailing list is not the appropriate forum for
getting help with or complaining about gmane issues.

I certainly appreciate that you had some kind of thought process which
seemed to make sense to you when you sent your complaint here, but I'm
trying to inform you that cygwin at cygwin dot com is not appropriate for
this discussion.

I'm glad that you did the right thing by contacting the gmane contact
address but the fact that they didn't respond doesn't make the cygwin
mailing list your second point of contact for complaining about
gmane.org.

I think you'll see that there is no exception for complaining about your
experiences with external news servers.

This list sees a lot of traffic.  I don't want to be bogged down in people
discussing problems with external sources of information.  I've tried to
be pretty consistent about this.

In case it isn't clear, I am the moderator of this list.  I am just asking
that you refrain from complaining about gmane.org issues since they are
off-topic here.  Thank you for adhering to my wishes.

cgf