RE: (Fwd) Cron oddity

On 25 Jul 2002 at 18:43, Harig, Mark A. wrote:

> 1. You might try adding "echo" statements throughout your script (have
> them write to a file in /tmp).  This should help you to narrow down
> where the problem is occurring.
>
> 2. Read the file /usr/doc/Cygwin/cron.README.  Consider downloading and
> installing the 'ssmtp' package and and setting it up to get cron to send
> you email with the output of commands that it runs.  Read the manual
> pages for ssmtp and cron for more details on how to do this: $ man ssmtp
> and   $ man cron.

Well, I installed ssmtp and put entries in the /etc/ssmtp/revaliases
file for "root", "daemon", and my userid with this email address and
my ISP's SMTP server, and let cron do its thing. No email almost an
hour later; the Windows XP event log shows that cron did its thing
and (attempted to) launch the script; and there's nothing in the way
of error messages there or in /var/log/cron.log. There's also no
dead.letter in ~, which would mean it attempted to send the mail and
failed. Since it clearly didn't attempt to send the mail and fail,
and equally clearly didn't attempt to send the mail and succeed, I
can only conclude that it didn't attempt to send the mail at all. Any
clue what's going on?