Re: (Fwd) Cron oddity

Paul Derbyshire wrote:

On 26 Jul 2002 at 11:36, Harig, Mark A. wrote:

1. Consider installing 'mutt' using setup.exe.
More installing...*sigh*...The big problem with Windows is that everything is self contained so everything is multi-megabyte bloatware. The big problem with unix is that nothing is self
contained so you have to install one thing, find it doesn't work, install something else, install something else... :)
Well people are directing you to install tools they are familar with in an attempt to help you with your problem. One can view the Unix way as "well at least you have a choice of what to install - you could install everything!". Also, often with Windows administration you'll find people doing the same thing and asking you to install WSH or the Resource Kit, etc.

3. If you don't receive mail within 5 minutes (more like 5 seconds), then you need to troubleshoot your ssmtp and mutt setups. Read /usr/doc/Cygwin/mutt*, /usr/doc/Cygwin/ssmtp* (for example, did you run /usr/bin/ssmtp-config?). Also, see the manual pages for mutt and ssmtp...
I did not run /usr./bin/ssmtp-config. I don't recall the ssmtp man page saying I should do so. I'm starting to think the documentation for some components of Cygwin could be improved a touch.
Try /usr/doc/*! Often there is stuff in there that explains stuff like setting up things. man is more how to use stuff.

Anyway, one thought is that cron has a limited view of what it can see on the network. I've heard tell that it can see only global network mount points. What's a global network mount point as opposed to a non global one is beyond me. That question was never answered for me. For example, using UNC pathnames I could access places like my home directory (mounted to my H drive) through cron but now other network places using UNCs. I never figured out how to tell the difference.

As was suggested, try simple commands first. Assuming you get those working try a script, located in the root directory of your C drive. Did it work? If so then try from your original location. Did that work? Is that original location a network drive or network place (UNC name?)?

Report your results back here.