Re: (Fwd) Cron oddity

On 26 Jul 2002 at 13:40, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Well people are directing you to install tools they are familar with in
> an attempt to help you with your problem. One can view the Unix way as
> "well at least you have a choice of what to install - you could install
> everything!". Also, often with Windows administration you'll find people
> doing the same thing and asking you to install WSH or the Resource Kit, etc.

I don't recall anything like this happening...:)

> > I did not run /usr./bin/ssmtp-config. I don't recall the ssmtp man
> > page saying I should do so. I'm starting to think the documentation
> >  for some components of Cygwin could be improved a touch.
>
> Try /usr/doc/*! Often there is stuff in there that explains stuff like
> setting up things. man is more how to use stuff.

OK.

> Anyway, one thought is that cron has a limited view of what it can see
> on the network. I've heard tell that it can see only global network
> mount points. What's a global network mount point as opposed to a non
> global one is beyond me. That question was never answered for me. For
> example, using UNC pathnames I could access places like my home
> directory (mounted to my H drive) through cron but now other network
> places using UNCs. I never figured out how to tell the difference.

I'm not trying to use cron to access stuff on a lan; just to invoke a
wget process locally. That the wget then makes TCP connections
shouldn't be relevant here.

In any event, I did get cron sending me mail, and without using mutt
either. :) I had forgotten to change a MAILTO = "" in the crontab, of
all things; I'd used that to stop it trying to send mail before,
since I use dialup that is only intermittently connected and didn't
want my home directory to be spammed with dead letters from failed
mail.

This evening I'll diddle the script crontab to go off after a few
minutes, connect again, and see what the mailbox fairy brings me...