RE: bash and the delete key

> At 20:16 2002-07-26, Some Beer-Swilling Patriot wrote:
> > > Tony,
> > >
> > > Absolutely that's a problem!
> > >
> > > CTRL-V is the default assignment for "literal-next" ("lnext") in the
> > > TTY driver
> > >

> >OK, but to people who never knew that, and now that they do can't imagine why
> >they'd ever need it, is it a problem?  CTRL-V is "paste" in every windows
> >program since 3.11 days, and it'd be hella-useful to remap it to
> something one
> >would actually use.
>

> Cygwin is not Windows.

Then what's the "win" in Cygwin for?

> Cygwin does not aim to adopt Windows conventions
> within its environment,

ls c:

Yep, that works.  A lotta work's gone into the text/binary mess as well.

> at least not as the default.

By default it has no default, that's why the subject comes up at all.

> People who know what they're doing know what literal next is and does and
> they use it.

I know what I'm doing.  I've never used it.  The thought that "gee, I wish I
could type goofy characters at the bash prompt" never even crossed my mind.

> How do you get a TAB into a command line with completion
> enabled?

Shrug.  Why would you want to?

> An ESC? A CTRL-A? CTRL-B? CTRL-C? CTRL-D? CTRL-E? CTRL-T? CTRL-P?
> CTRL-O? CTRL-N? Backslash doesn't handle non-printing characters, only
> literal next makes it possible to enter them on the command line.
>
> Mapping the insert clipboard to the "Insert" key is sufficiently
> "hella-useful."

Oh I agree 100%.  But it'd be even nicer if, when I reflexively hit CTRL-V, it'd
do what one would expect it to do on a Windows machine, i.e. paste from the
clipboard.

So I ask again, is remapping CTRL-V going to cause any problems for those who
have no desire to enter tabs on the command line?

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.