RE: Does cygwin slow things down

Thus spoke: "Gary R. Van Sickle" <g dot r dot vansickle at worldnet dot att
dot net>

>Slower than... not running at all?

Almost, and yes, to the point where cygwin is so slow that it is not a
practical foundation for program development.  Since the .10 revision,
literally seconds go by between simple operations such as when executing a
.sh list of file copies.

Under DOS, images of the Harbour compiler (http://www.harbour.org) are
downloaded from Sourceforge, then cygwin (gcc) is used to build images of
the compiler, all the while keeping cygwin current.  Cygwin has proved an
excellent platform, until the last two major revisions.  What used to take
only several minutes to run through the makefile now can extend beyond
twenty!

The computer here is an old Pentium 166 with 64 mbytes of memory, but the
response has been quite adequate.  I would expect even a faster system would
not fully mask whatever is inhibiting the current performance of cygwin.

Sorry I can't be more helpful or more specific.

Bill
billsmith@ispwest.com