Re: W2K and sshd, ssh - asks for password

Max, Corinna,

First, Max, I'm sorry for the misinformation.

Second, Corinna, thanks for the correction.

Does this imply that the CYGWIN variable is consulted upon every "exec" system call to decide whether the ensuing program executes with "ntsec" in effect? I assume the check would not occur during a "fork" call.

By the way, I can have both a "tty" and a non-"tty" shell running concurrently, so it must be a process-by-process (checked on fork) or a program-by-program (checked on exec) characteristic.

The CYGWIN environment variable page of the Cygwin User Guide (<http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html> does not mention when the CYGWIN variable is consulted for the setting of the various options. Nor, as far as I can tell, does the "ntsec" page (<http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html>).

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 01:56 2002-07-27, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 06:32:59PM -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> You should be aware that certain keywords in the CYGWIN variable, among
> them "ntsec," are only examined when the Cygwin1.dll initially loads (i.e.,
> every time a Cygwin application starts up and the Cygwin1.dll shared
> library was not already loaded; that can occur any number of times between
> reboots or logins).
>
> In particular this means that no Cygwin code or script can meaningfully set
> the "ntsec" keyword in the CYGWIN variable--it must be supplied by the
> Windows environment. The usual way of doing this is to use the System
> control panel's Environment setting function.

That's not right. It only holds for some of the CYGWIN settings as
tty vs. notty which would be somewhat problematic. E. g. a nontsec
application can start a ntsec app and vice versa.

Corinna