RE: bash and the delete key

--- Randall R Schulz <rrschulz@cris.com> wrote:
> >So I ask again, is remapping CTRL-V going to cause any problems
> for those who
> >have no desire to enter tabs on the command line?
>
> For the ignorant, no, it will cause no problems. For those who need
> literal
> next and have the legitimate expectation that it will be in the
> default
> place (CTRL-V), yes it matters and should not be changed.

I would like to point out that CTRL-V is used by nano and pico users
to scroll down one page.  If I'm not mistaken, it is used in lynx as
well.  In fact, pretty much any readline based application I can
think of uses it.  Since readline uses inputrc for its bindings, this
would probably break the binding in many current applications.  I
have to agree with Randall that this would be a very bad idea, and
probably cause many mailing-list headaches (as most newbies like to
use pico/nano).  If I know Chris' responses, he'd probably say
something like, "Hell will freeze over first before CTRL-V gets
changed."  Either that, or "We aren't going to change it because we
are *mean*."

Sorry, it ain't gonna happen, 'Nuff Said.

Cheers,
Nicholas