RE: Does cygwin slow things down?

Actually I believe I have found my bottleneck, select.

Each select call in win32 takes 13usecs, while a select call in Cygwin
takes 970usecs.  Now I know that there's some extra magic inside select to
make it work with pipes and files and stuff, but I just thought I'd
mention that that was the problem I'm having.  What I plan to do is before
calling select check to see if they are all sockets, if they are I'll just
extract the handles and call win32 select, I'll see what happens when I
do that.