Re: W2K and sshd, ssh - asks for password

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 01:50:13PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Randall R Schulz wrote:
>>> In particular this means that no Cygwin code or script can
>>> meaningfully set the "ntsec" keyword in the CYGWIN variable--it must
>>> be supplied by the Windows environment.
>
>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> That's not right.  It only holds for some of the CYGWIN settings as
>> tty vs. notty which would be somewhat problematic.  E. g. a nontsec
>> application can start a ntsec app and vice versa.
>
>I didn't know that.  I thought that the whole of CYGWIN was read only
>once at first dll startup.
>
>But then, I should have realised, since otherwise cygrunsrv -e
>"CYGWIN=ntsec" would have no effect.
>
>So, setting CYGWIN=tty via cygrunsrv is pointless?  Because
>ssh-host-config does that.

It's not pointless but I don't see why it would be necessary.
CYGWIN=tty is more or less assumed for any application that uses a pty,
which should be any application that is started as a service which is
intended to start interactive processes.  The only effect that would
have is to associate a tty with non-interactive rsh or ssh sessions
which would just serve to slow things down slightly with, IMO, no
benefit.

cgf