Re: Future ntsec-detection problem in sshd (Re: winsup/cygwin ChangeLog security.cc)

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 01:40:50PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 10:23:45PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>>>Perhaps is would be better to add a 'bool is_ntsec_enabled();' function
>>>to cygwin1.dll?
>>
>>Perhaps.  OTOH I'd have to load that function dynamically inside of
>>sshd so that it still runs on older versions of the Cygwin dll.  And if
>>the function doesn't exist, I'd have to check ntsec still using the old
>>method.  Hmm.
>
>If people are upgrading ssh surely they should also be upgrading cygwin
>as well?  Is there any reason to support people trying to use old
>cygwin1.dll versions with newly released cygwin software?

Breaking backwards compatibility gratuitously is not desirable.

In this case however, this could be implemented as a "cygwin_internal" function
anyway, which would mean not having to worry about loading the function.

However, checking the cygwin api version should be sufficient too.  That's
what it is there for.

cgf