Re: Does cygwin slow things down

>  >

> Quite a while back I posted a bash shell script that developed a major
> performance problem with the .11 release.  I skipped the .10 release, so
> maybe it was a problem there, too.  The few people who ran the shell
> script said it worked just fine on their machines.  I tried it on some
> other cygwin installations, and indeed, it did work fine.  So, there
> seems to be something different about one of my installations.  The one
> I've noticed performance problems with is running WinME, and the ones
> that worked fine were Win NT 4.0.  Given the number of people
> undoubtedly running WinME, I'd be very surprised if it were as simple as
> that...

I wouldnt.  There are alot of things which NT/2k/XP can support much more
easily and with less performance hit then ME/98/95.  And given that people
who put their systems through rigorous work 'generally' (notable exceptions)
use the former rather then the later, there is probably more bias at play
then you think.

Gareth - waits for his modem to update cygwin once again... silly slow
modem.