RE: bash and the delete key

> From: Joshua Daniel Franklin
>
> > The next generation of the profile package will, probably,
> > have a /etc/skel directory.  When /etc/profile creates a
> > home directory it will also copy the contents of /etc/skel
> > to that directory.
>
> > I suggest that you take up with the bash maintainer the
> > (possible) creation of a /etc/skel/.inputrc file with
> > appropriate (default) contents :)
>
> > It might even be possible to add two 'defaults' - a
> > /etc/skel/.inputrc (linux like defaults)
> > /etc/skel/alt/.inputrc.mimic.windows (or something like)
>
> I think this is a great idea for readline (.inputrc), bash
> (.bash_profile), tcsh (.cshrc), etc. Actually I don't see
> why they couldn't all be in the 'profile' package, though maybe
> that's not exactly correct.

I'd rather [shell|X|...] specific skeleton files be kept with the
appropriate package, otherwise I'd have _far_ too much to maintain.

I don't mind adding something to the profile script which, given
a xxx.default when there is no xxx cp /etc/skel/xxx.default
/etc/skel/xxx before copying to the users home (if appropriate).

> Also perhaps these files could be
> not just useful but also instructional, with comments pointing
> out options, examples, and documentation. For example:
>
> # Aliases for Windows equivalents; see 'info fileutils' for differences

I'm making an effort to try and comment all my files (starting
with 1.1-1), if I miss something or get it wrong, please
comment! :)

J.