Re: setup and file-conflicts

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 04:24, Sven Köhler wrote:
> hi!
>
> the cygwin-setup currently overwrites files in /etc without a warning.
> it happened to me while updating the squid-package.
> there should be a warning or the new file is given a new name like
> /etc/.cygwin.squid.conf if the file squid.conf already exists.

Actually, setup deleted the old squid.conf w/o warning - it didn't leave
it there to be overwriten. It was a packaging bug, as the announcement
on cygwin-announce described. If you are not subscribed to
cygwin-announce, well I suggest that you do so.

> another strange thing happened, when i was installing 2 packages that
> both contained the same file. after uninstalling, the file was gone and
> i had to reinstall the other package.
> this could/should perhaps be avoided by using some hashes.

Known bug, in the TODO list. Thanks for the report anyway.

Rob