Re: Mysterious gdb behavior.

On 28 Jul 2002 at 17:58, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> At 17:31 2002-07-28, Paul Derbyshire wrote:
> >
> >Now can anyone suggest a fix here? So far the only thing I've seen
> >explicitly suggested is to patch and recompile lots of stuff most of
> >whose internals I don't know the first thing about, and the vague
> >implication that I should blow the whole system away and reinstall it
> >after (finding out how and) changing my Windows username. I'd much
> >rather avoid either of those, especially as the latter will cause
> >data loss. Obviously the contents of the home directory could be
> >copied out but there's a ton of changes made to assorted other files,
> >such as /etc/profile, crontab entries, and so on. There's also the
> >sheer magnitude of the download.
>

> Paul,
>
> Is there are reason you don't just move your working directory (the one
> with the sources and executables you're trying to debug) to a directory
> whose fully-qualified name is devoid of spaces?
>
> It really seems that you're making this a much bigger deal than it needs to be.

As in out of my home directory? I figured it was best to put my own
stuff under that directory, to keep it separate from parts of the
system and from configuration files. It would make things slightly
simpler in the case a reinstall is needed, for one thing -- copy the
home directory's contents out, reinstall, and copy them back, along
with just a few configuration files like /etc/profile and wherever
cron stores its state.