RE: locate: /usr/var/locatedb: No such file or directory

Thanks.

After

% updatedb

it works.

However how do I have the locate utility in order to know where 'ls' is
?

According man locate (1)
------
If a pattern is a plain string -- it contains no metachar-
acters  --  locate displays all file names in the database
that contain that string anywhere.  If a pattern does con-
tain  metacharacters, locate only displays file names that
match the pattern exactly.  As  a  result,  patterns  that
contain  metacharacters  should  usually begin with a `*',
and will most often end with one as well.  The  exceptions
are  patterns  that  are  intended to explicitly match the
beginning or end of a file name.
-----

$locate ls
  generates 1389 lines

$locate *ls
  generete 71 lines

But I need to know about the 'ls' pattern exactly.

  Alex Vinokur
    http://up.to/alexvn
    http://go.to/alexv_math
    mailto:alexvn@bigfoot.com