RE: expect help on cygwin

I've been looking at this problem, but don't have any solution.
I believe that 'spawn' is broken because pseudo-tty support is
not available in 'expect'.  At one time, this may have been
because pseudo-tty support was not in the 'inetutils' package,
but some tty support has been added.

Here are some of the symptoms so far:

  - Cygwin's expect is based on expect-5.26.  The latest release
    of expect (July 18, 2002) is 5.38.

  - Cygwin's tcl/tk is based on tcl-8.0.  The 'expect' home page
    says (implicitly) that expect-5.38 works with tcl-8.3.2, but
    it does not say that it won't work with tcl-8.0.

  - expect-5.38 does not build "out of the box" with with Cygwin's
    tcl-8.0.  It also has out of date 'configure', 'config.sub',
    and 'config.guess' scripts.

What to do?  Here are some alternatives:

  1. Try to fix Cygwin's tcl-8.0 and fix Cygwin's expect-5.26 so that it
     can be built using the new versions of the inetutils libraries that
     have been released since 'expect' was last built.

  2. Or, examine what it would take to make tcl-8.3.2 build on Cygwin.
     This might then be built with expect-5.38+ (i.e., expect + new
     versions of configure, config.guess, and config.sub).  Build this
     recent version using the inetutils libraries.

If neither of these approaches works, then there might be some pty
functions missing from the 'inetutils' library (particularly,
libutil.a).  More pseudo-terminal support (C code) would need to be
added.

Is this a question for the "cygwin-developers" mailing list?