Re: Home directories with spaces (was: Re: Mysterious gdb behavior.)

On 29 Jul 2002 at 0:29, Michael Hoffman wrote:

> I find that volunteers are usually quite capable of determining what their
> job is. If you don't like the way it works you can:
>
> (a) Change it and submit a patch; or
> (b) Pay someone to change it to meet your specifications. You could buy a
> Red Hat support contract or there are several people on this list who do
> Cygwin consulting for hire.
>
> You get what you pay for.

That wasn't what I intended. My intended meaning was that if someone
is going to change the code it's up to them to find out what change
would work, not me, unless I'm the one changing it.

This whole discussion is getting ridiculously far from the original
issue and I suggest we drop it.

> You know it's a pity that you didn't actually try that instead of
> blindly speculating on what it would come up with. If you searched
> google for
>
> home directories with spaces in them cygwin
>
> you would have found several hits. The third hit is the Cygwin FAQ which
> tells you exactly what to do. Imagine that.

Wait a minute, we were talking about searching the mailing list
archives, not Google. Also, there are so many ways to phrase that
that a priori I'd have no reason to expect any one phrasing to work,
and I can't be bothered to try every permutation. Lastly, the Cygwin
FAQ I have locally mentions that this can be a problem but says
nothing about how to change it. If there's a more up to date version
that does, fine, but it's not my fault if I happen to have an older
copy and didn't run across any news of an update.