Re: Mysterious gdb behavior

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:00:41PM -0400, Paul Derbyshire wrote:
>On 29 Jul 2002 at 11:37, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 08:09:39AM -0500, Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG wrote:
>>>To add a bit of related trivia to this wonderful thread, I find it
>>>interesting that the current relase of Dev-C++ is suffering with a
>>>similar problem.  If you set Dev up in the "Program Files" directory,
>>>it has crash and burn type problems due to the spaces in the directory
>>>name as well.
>
>Starts to seem like pathnames with spaces are just something that
>*have* to be dealt with sensibly if a system is to work under/inside/on
>Win32...

Indeed, it should be one of humanity's primary goals for this new age.

>>Hmm.  This is reaching urban myth proportions.
>>
>>AFAIK, gdb works fine with a path with spaces in it.  There is no
>>indication to the contrary, so far.
>
>AFAIR, this started when I posted a case of gdb mysteriously failing to
>run a process and also failing to produce an error message (graphical
>version) unless you tried from the console.  The error message in turn
>indicated (but in a cryptic way that pretty much forces someone to ask
>questions on a mailing list, by only giving a mysterious numeric code
>instead of an understandable error message) that a Windows process
>spawning API found the executable to be invalid.  Whereupon I posted a
>screen dump showing that the error message was itself in error, because
>a test executable worked fine when launched from the shell and not when
>run in gdb.

How could anyone, reading this mailing list, who had rudimentary reading
skills, *not* know this by now?  You've been going on and on about it.
You latched onto this concept when someone suggested it and are
apparently unable to actually verify for yourself if this actually is
your problem or not.  As I said, what a strange strange thread we're on.

For the record (again) I have gone to the effort of trying gdb in a
directory with spaces in it and have not had any problems.  I have
suggested a couple of things for you to try but you are ignoring them.
Since you responded to the message where I, as an experiment, reset the
from address to the cygwin mailing list email address it would almost
appear that you've put my Red Hat email address into a kill file or
something.

cgf
[the rest of an attempt at a humorous response has been deleted]