RE: FAQ or bash bug with ntsec? (WAS: Help request: bash with PAT H problems)

Hi Jason,

> Jörg,
>
> What is the ownership and permissions of your /usr/bin?  Are they
> 544 and 700, respectively?  If so then, chmod 755 /usr/bin prevent the
> problem from re-occurring on every reinstall.

see current "state":
$ ls -ld /bin
drwx------    3 admins   1001       163840 30. Jul 13:03 /bin
$ ls -lnd /bin
drwx------    3 544      1001       163840 30. Jul 13:03 /bin

So you're quite right. And I have no permission to chmod the directory ...
<g>

> Unfortunately, how /usr/bin was set to permissions of 700 is still a
> mystery...

I also don't know how the "internet guest account (1001)" could gain group
ownership. Possibly some inherited rights after installation of the personal
web server <shudder>?

OK. After chgrp 755 is assigned.

After reinstallation of findutils:
$ ls -ln /bin/find.exe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 544      513         78848 20. May 05:39 /bin/find.exe

bash is happy, so am I :)

Still, the basic question is, what caused the settings of the directory? At
least the settings of /bin is an entry for the FAQ.

Other mysteries:
a) Why was only bash infected by the mask settings and none of the other
shells?
b) Why executed bash the command when called directly?

Thanks to all,
Jörg