RE: Skel files

> From: Earnie Boyd [mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com]

Thanks Earnie, response is welcome :)

> John Morrison wrote:
> >
> > Some of the files I have on my system which I believe could
> > have defaults...
> >

> > .xinit                  Yes - But should be copied only by the
> X11 package or perhaps RXVT.

By copied I take it you mean packaged as part of a tar?  I agree,
personally, I'd choose X11.

> > .xserverrc              Yes - But should be copied only by the
> X11 package needing it

Agreed.

> > .pinerc                 Yes - But should be copied only by the
> PINE package

Agreed.

> > .vimrc                  Yes - But should be copied only by the
> VIM package

Agreed.  I'm attempting (with this mail) to raise the profile (if
you'll forgive the pun) of the skel capabilities.  I _definitely_
want them to be part of the appropriate package! :)

> > .bashrc                 No
> > .bash_profile           No
> > .inputrc                No
> > .login                  No
> > .logout                 No

Why no?  Not even comments and example usage?  I (as a *nix
newbie) didn't know these files existed, uses of or anything for
ages.  I found them out either by accident or by viewing somebody
elses system.  Even just a place holder with a comment as to
what the file is for I would have considered useful.

J.

PS, what do you think about packaging up profile (removing that
functionality from the setup app)?  What about doing the same
with the group/passwd script?  Should that be another package?