Re: Skel files

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> John Morrison wrote:
> >
> > > From: Earnie Boyd [mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com]
> >
> > Thanks Earnie, response is welcome :)

> > By copied I take it you mean packaged as part of a tar?  I agree,
> > personally, I'd choose X11.
>
> Maybe both.

This would mean overwriting the file, so a comment inside to that regard
may be in order.

> > Agreed.

> > Agreed.

> > Agreed.  I'm attempting (with this mail) to raise the profile (if
> > you'll forgive the pun) of the skel capabilities.  I _definitely_
> > want them to be part of the appropriate package! :)
>
> You can create the /profile/skel for these and the package could copy if
> they exist or provide it's own default.

> > Why no?  Not even comments and example usage?  I (as a *nix
> > newbie) didn't know these files existed, uses of or anything for
> > ages.  I found them out either by accident or by viewing somebody
> > elses system.  Even just a place holder with a comment as to
> > what the file is for I would have considered useful.
>
> Examples are fine.  Forcing the user to have them would be a pain, IMO.
> It complicates the install process beyond what is needed.  These files
> are for the user to modify there environment to their specific need, not
> what someone else dreams up as a standard user environment.  The
> standard environment should only be controlled by the /etc/profile, etc.
> files.

How about a comment in /etc/profile about using .bashrc to change
individual settings?

> Yes, you could argue that about the other files as well.  However, the
> other files aren't as common and are more tool specific rather than
> environment specific.
>
> Earnie

An example .inputrc outside of the home directory would actually be
useful.

Another approach would be to leave all commands in the shell config files
commented out, with notes describing them and saying to uncomment them to
enable that particular functionality.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file