Problems connecting to cygwin

I am trying to build some python library and in the process had to run some
library making stuff.  The problem was encountered when the tool dlltool
tried to open a dll called cygwin.dll and this did not exist.

I downloaded the latest cygwin and installed it.

The problem did not go away, cygwin seemed to install a cygwin1.dll but not
a cygwin.dll.

Since all the docs said it was backward compatible I tried renameing it
(probably a mistake but I had little to loose).  The following error
occured.

-----

C:\Documents and Settings\Denize\Desktop\DB-python>dlltool --output-lib
libpytho
n22.a -dllname python22.dll --input-def python22.def python22.dll
C:\Documents and Settings\Denize\Desktop\DB-python\dlltool.exe: *** cygwin
DLL a
nd APP are out of sync -- DLL version mismatch 17 < 19

-----

It looked to me that I had a version that was newer.  So I tried to download
an older version (despite all the references that this was unnecessary -
backward compatible and all).  This faild when the download advised no files
to update.

Can you advise what I need to do?

Do I need an older version?

Do you know anything about dlltool and a version that might be compatable
with newer versions of cygwin?

Why are there no docs talking about the name chage cygwin.dll -> cygwin1.dll
?

Your assistance would be appreciated

reply to (mailto:onz4@metservice.com) it might be more reliable

Paul Denize