'scp' stalls and Putty scp doesn't

I've noticed that when I use the scp that comes with cygwin that it often tends
to become -stalled-.  If I immediately change the 'scp' (/bin/scp.exe) to 'pscp'
which is the Putty scp client, than I am able to download without any problems.
This happens with many different files.

Smaller files tend to come down OK.  Sometimes, but not always, the stall will
pick up again and finish if I wait long enough.  The remote machine is running
SunOS 5.6. If I copy the same file to a RedHat Linux 7.2 system, the scp never
stalls.

This makes me think that the Sun box and the Linux box have slight differences
in their scp protocol.  It also makes me think that Putty somehow accommodates
this difference.  Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

lynn